This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Portuguese capital gains tax

Emma532
Portuguese capital gains tax

Postby Emma532 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 pm

My elderly parents lived in Portugal for 16yrs, they had to move from Portugal back to the uk for health reasons. They sold their Portuguese property (only residence) in 2016 and purchased a home in the UK later in 2016 as their main residence.
After a few to-ings and fro-ings with the tax office & a Portuguese solicitor and accountant, the crux of it all seems that the Portuguese tax office has discounted the purchase of the UK property as my parents were not actually residing in the Portuguese property at the time of the sale, however it was still their main residence and they were still paying bills etc, they were simply staying with me whilst my father’s condition deteriorated. The solicitor stated she could no longer help us, and had taken legal advice who stated we would not win in court against the tax office.
I have tried writing directly to the tax office, on numerous occasions but they only continued to send increasing bills, and finally a bill with an added notice that letter writing was not the correct process. I have tried the Portuguese Embassy but they said I have to deal with the tax office directly as even they cannot contact them, and ‘Good Luck’
I have now received a further tax bill for 2016 in my mother’s name, as I was asked to submit a return for her last year, I tried but was unable to access the system via internet, so wrote and asked for a paper copy of the forms to fill in a negative return as she is only in receipt of around £70 married woman’s pension per week. Again the letter was ignored.
Am I the only person who has experienced this issue, how does one solve any problem where your questions are not responded to?
Can anyone help or advise?

Return to “International Tax”