This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employment page or Foreign page?

Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:24 pm

Employment page or Foreign page?

Postby bubu » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 am


I was non-resident in UK from 2011 to 2018, then left my job abroad and came back to UK in May 2018.

I became resident in the UK from May till Deceber 2018.

I departed UK in December 2018 and have become non-resident in the UK again as long as I stay overseas in full-time employment until at least April 6th 2020.I can claim split-year from April 6th 2018 until my return to the UK in May 2018. As I cannot claim split-year twice, what happens about the period I worked abroad from December 2018 to April 5th 2019? I believe I would need to declare that income on my tax return. However, which additional forms should I request from HMRC? Employment or Foreign pages?

I ask as I read on the Foreign notes for a previous year, "Don't use the 'Foreign' pages for: ..... foreign employment income - use the 'Employment' pages."

Additionally, I have already got my tax return for 2018/2019, (I already do returns because I rent out a property in the UK) but I didn't inform HMRC I was back in the UK for 6 months. Do I need HMRC to send me a new tax return, or do I just need to request additional pages?

I am very confused.

Many thanks.

Return to “International Tax”