This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Exchange rate and time of exchange for tax

flydigital
Exchange rate and time of exchange for tax

Postby flydigital » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:24 pm

If I earn $1,000 in the United states in January 2019, paid into a US bank account and then chose to send that money to my UK bank account in January 2020, how do I report this in my SA return?
Is the exchange rate and the moment I have received this income January of 2019, or January of 2020?

Asides from the moment of earning the income, the exchange rate when I earned the money and the rate when I actually exchange it to sterling may be very different.

Thanks for any info anyone can offer on this.

DavidTreitel

Re: Exchange rate and time of exchange for tax

Postby DavidTreitel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Was this employment income? Business Income? Investment Income? Capital Gain? Where are you domiciled for UK tax purposes? Are you a US citizen, green card holder or resident?

flydigital

Postby flydigital » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

Permanent UK citizen.
Not a US citizen

Income is from dividends from stocks.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:47 am

The exchange rate is the date the dividends were due - January 2019. The income is UK taxable in 2018-19. You will have had 15% US tax withheld and can claim double tax relief in the UK for that US tax.

Return to “International Tax”