This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is my US payment taxable by the IRS?

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:57 am

Is my US payment taxable by the IRS?

Postby Benjamin888 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:06 am


I am due payment for around $5,000 from a US based company in California, they have asked me to fill in either and W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form before receipt of payment.
My situation is slightly complicated as I am currently domiciled abroad in Asia, however I did online design work for the US company on behalf of my company that is registered in the UK, and I want to receive the payment into a UK bank account.

Should I fill in the entities or individual form, and will I be taxed, and if so, at what rate? I do not have any other payments or dealings with the company or other entities from that US State or other US States.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Is my US payment taxable by the IRS?

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 pm

You did not do the work. A UK limited company you control did the work. How is that company taxed in your country of residence?

Return to “International Tax”