This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Custom charge for membership?

Kropotkin
Custom charge for membership?

Postby Kropotkin » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Couple of week ago I have decided to join a certain *activist* organization operating in the US (I am the UK resident).
The price of membership was $25 (roughly £20-21) and as a member I am eligible to get Membership ID and a certificate. I have paid the price and the parcel with these items was sent to my UK’s address.

For some reason, my parcel had been a subject of interest of Border Force on behalf of H&M Revenue & Custom officers, who decided I am supposed to pay custom charge (£5.83 + £8 of holding fee by Royal Mail). They indicated this is due to the Notice 143.

I do not understand what is the reason of such charge, while I would consider this parcel rather as a letter than a goods (not even as a gift), especially that both documents included are highly personalised and cannot be for me a subject of commerical use.

I am profoundly curious whether there is any way of appealling of this decision.
Can you advise me anything, please.

pawncob

Re: Custom charge for membership?

Postby pawncob » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 pm

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/how-do-i-dispute-a-royal-mail-customs-charge-1826885
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “International Tax”