This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

For non-resident investing in UK, what is tax at source?

DW2

Postby DW2 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 am

Hi,

IÂ’m a UK non-resident who is considering investing in some UK unit trusts. Based on feedback to a previous question I asked this forum about tax liability when investing in the UK and how you should complete your tax return, I read

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/manuals ... alf706.htm

· Which talks about ‘income tax chargeable on non- residents is limited to the tax, if any, deducted at source (provided there is no UK representative for the income)’
So, how do I know if the company I choose to deal with (Legal and General in this case) will choose to try to tax my gains at the source?

Is it just easier to keep my savings outside the UK, assuming I may return one day?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:53 am

UK Unit Trusts are deemed to have had tax deducted at 10%. This is the tax deducted at source.

When investing you should ask your financial adviser or representative of the company of the tax implications.

Return to “International Tax”