This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxed in Holland and the UK

steter60
Taxed in Holland and the UK

Postby steter60 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 pm

HI
I worked in Holland this year between January and July, for a Dutch firm paying tax at source under the Dutch 30% tax rule. In the UK I am a Limited Company, which I froze while I was away and re-started on my return. I have just completed a Self Assessment and my accountants tell me I must pay UK tax on the portion of the money I earned in The Netherlands which was un-taxed. Obviously because of the 30% rule this is a sizeable amount, and also because of the time of year, it will happen again for tax year ending April 2020.
Is this correct? I had been led to believe that I only had to pay tax and NI etc. in the one country.

jerome.lane

Re: Taxed in Holland and the UK

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 am

You will report and pay tax on your worldwide income and gains if you are deemed UK resident for the tax year. You get a credit for foreign tax paid but it can't exceed the UK tax that would have been payable (i.e. you lose 10% if you are a 20% tax payer and have had 30% deducted).

You haven't explained what your untaxed Netherlands income is? If you received untaxed payments from your work in the Netherlands under a dual contract arrangement, then you could end up with more issues.

For simplicity, if you had £10k of Netherlands income with Dutch tax of £3k deducted and other income took you over the higher rate band, you would pay a net £1k of extra tax in the UK.

If you aren't in the higher rate band, then you won't have any extra tax to pay, but you have paid £1k more overall than you would have if working only in the UK.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

etf

Postby etf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:28 pm

The following may assist your understanding of the original post. It covers a tax break the Dutch offer to attract employees with special skills/knowledge not readily available in the Netherlands.

General
63. The 30% ruling is a special tax regime available for
inbound employees who meet certain conditions.
Before explaining these conditions in more detail,
please find below the main features of the 30%
ruling:
‒ Upon granting of the 30% ruling, a maximum of
30% of an employee’s gross income from current
employment is considered to be a
reimbursement for extraterritorial costs and can
therefore be reimbursed tax free (i.e. regardless
of the actual extraterritorial costs incurred). This
means that if the conditions of the 30% ruling are
met, the employee will only be taxed on 70% of
his employment income. This will result in a
substantially reduced effective tax due (i.e. the
effective maximum rate is reduced to 36.2%
(70% x 51,75%)).

ABiLiTieS Trust

Postby ABiLiTieS Trust » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 pm

So basically 30% of the income will not be salary anymore. The cut of 36.2% here above will only be applicable in case all the salary requalified as expenses would have been taxed in the highest bracket.
ABiLiTieS Trust | Corporate Services Amsterdam
info@abilitiestrust.com
Trust Office Netherlands

Return to “International Tax”