This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign income internship

Dukray
Re: Foreign income internship

Postby Dukray » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks to everyone!

So it seems clear that I should declare this income via Self Assessment and claim all paid US tax as credit.

Now, the case is that I have never filed a tax return, so two more questions would be:

1. Should I hire an accountant, or is it a straight forward process?

2. Assuming this return will be filed after the deadline for the 2018-19 tax year, which is Jan 31st, would I be facing penalties and of what kind (e.g. for late registration/payment)? I ask because in other countries, sometimes you can "catch up" several years worth of income when filing your FIRST tax return ever, but I am not sure if something similar exists in the UK. For what is worth, I have not received any notification from the HMRC asking me to pay, so this would be a "proactive" move on my part -- does that change my situation in any way?

Return to “International Tax”