This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on final RIFF payment to UK-resident pensioner

Edinburgh Annie
Tax on final RIFF payment to UK-resident pensioner

Postby Edinburgh Annie » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 am

I am a UK citizen who lived in Canada for 5 years, and became a Canadian citizen before returning to the UK in 2004. I have been permanently resident in Scotland, UK, for tax purposes since then. Whilst in Canada, I built up an RRSP which was converted to a RRIF when I retired in 2013. As it was a relatively small RRIF, my RRIF pension was sent to me annually each year, and was always no more than 10% of the fund value as at the last yearend (in order to avoid Withholding Tax and submission of an annual tax return to Canada Revenue). In the UK, I have paid tax (at the 20% rate) on 90% of the RRIF payment received each year, per HMRC's instructions.

This year, for personal reasons, I requested that 100% of the remaining RRIF pension (about $32,000 CDN or £18,500) be sent to me in January 2020, expecting that Withholding Tax would be applied before it was actually transferred. However, no Withholding Tax was withheld, and I'm now wondering:-

1. Is any Withholding Tax actually payable to Canada Revenue in this case? If so, at what % rate?
2. Will I have to submit tax returns to BOTH Canada Revenue (for 2020 fiscal year) and HMRC (2019/20 fiscal year) whether Withholding Tax is payable or not?
3. Under the dual taxation treaty, will I be able to claim any tax relief/credit for tax due/paid to Canada Revenue in my HMRC tax return? If not, will I be taxed by HMRC on the RRIF amount BEFORE or AFTER any Withholding Tax has been applied?

Edinburgh Annie

Return to “International Tax”