This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Returning to the UK after 15 years

mcn
Returning to the UK after 15 years

Postby mcn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:52 pm

I have been living in Austria for the past 15 years and considering a return to the UK.

What taxation issues do i need to consider for the move and what do i need to do once the move takes place, with respect to registering with the tax department etc

Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Returning to the UK after 15 years

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:01 pm

It depends on your circumstances.
If you have assets, such as a home or investments, which you may sell or which are standing at a substantial gain, you will want to look into the tax treatment (if not selling) and whether it is worth trying to rebase them - this may depend on whether Austria would tax the gain.

If you are planning to be employed in the UK then I think you would just fill out the employers' forms when you sign up to PAYE. You would only need to register for self-assessment if you had other taxable income, in which case you only need register by October following the tax year of arrival.

If self-employed, you will need to register for tax/NI and potentially VAT.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:21 pm

I assume you are UK domiciled.

On a return to the UK part way through a UK tax year is likely to cause so-called split year treatment for residence purposes. It would be sensible to ascertain BEFORE arriving as from what date your residence would effectively begin under the split year rules to ensure no UK tax is levied unexpectedly.

This would be particularly important if you have any capital assets which may be pregnant with capital gains. Subject to Austrian tax it may (as AG suggests) by advisable to dispose of such assets to avoid a CGT charge on any gains.

mcn

Postby mcn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I'm not sure of my domicile. Having been out of the UK for so long I assumed i would not be UK domiciled?

I have owned land in the UK since before I left and in 2017 I inherited my fathers house in the UK.

Return to “International Tax”