This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

returning non resident

chrisdunn
returning non resident

Postby chrisdunn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:21 am

I have been non resident for the last 10 years. An expat working overseas who may now have to seek work in UK.

I have sum stock market investments that pay me an annual dividend of 20,000 GBP per anum. These are currnetly not subject to uk taxation but would be when I returned.

If I lived in UK for a year ( or so) and then left and became non resident again, would these dividend payments immediately cease to be subject to UK tax as before?

AGoodman

Re: returning non resident

Postby AGoodman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 am

They would cease being taxable the moment you become non-resident for tax purposes - this may not be the same day as your day of departure. It could be the end of the tax year in which you leave or the day of departure if the split year rules apply.

chrisdunn

Re: returning non resident

Postby chrisdunn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Thank you.

Return to “International Tax”