This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Permanent UK expat resident in Spain selling UK home:CGT implications.

smithches1
Permanent UK expat resident in Spain selling UK home:CGT implications.

Postby smithches1 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi folks,I have trawled through forum and relevant sections for information but still not clear about my position.

I own a property in Uk since 1986 which I lived in until moving to Spain in 2013 to become fiscal resident.The property has been let out on various occasions since 2013 and is currently let.I plan to sell it next year and wonder whether I would be better off to return to UK for 12 months,live in property as main home and avoid having to pay CGT as I will have PPR relief from 1986 to 2012.As a TIE holder in Spain I am allowed to leave Spain for up to 5 years without losing my residencial status.This of course would mean notifying the Spanish tax authorities I am no longer a fiscal resident in Spain and therefore not liable for CGT to Spain.I would then pay non residence tax on my Spanish property.
Alternatively I could sell my property in UK anytime and pay the CGT on increase in value of property from date of my Spanish Fiscal Residency January 2013 to the date I sell the property.This would be a 7 year period and be 23% of the increase in value of said property between 2013 and 2021.
Am I right in thinking that because of PPR I wouldn’t pay any CGT to UK tax authorities and only have to pay the Spanish Tax authorities?
The latter course would be the most practical solution and probably be less financially costly than returning to UK for a year to sell.
Any alternative suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.

darthblingbling

Re: Permanent UK expat resident in Spain selling UK home:CGT implications.

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Dunno, you haven't given any property values for us to consider.

Why did you move to Spain (this is related to PPR and me being nosey)

smithches1

Postby smithches1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Sorry folks typo error.PPR should read PRR Private Residence Relief.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:19 pm

You said PPR relief, which is correct. If you meant PRR, that would be private residence relief relief.

You only get residence relief if the property is your residence. It is not a residence if you are only living in it for the purpose of obtaining the relief.

Return to “International Tax”