This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Leaving the UK: paper-based self assessment timing

matthewg156
Leaving the UK: paper-based self assessment timing

Postby matthewg156 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:18 am

Hi,

I'm leaving the UK this month (September 2020). I already complete online self assessments.

For the last tax year (2019/2020) do I need to complete a paper based assessment (ie by October 31 this year) or can I still do it online for this last time as I was in the UK during the 2019/2020 year?

etf

Re: Leaving the UK: paper-based self assessment timing

Postby etf » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi,

HMRC's own tax software does not support the residence supplementary pages and so in any tax year where you are seeking to claim split tax year treatment or claim non-UK resident status, i.e. probably 2020/21 for you, you will be unable to file your tax return on-line (unless you buy some commercial software or employ a tax adviser). I've never really understood why this is the case as commercial software companies have no problem supplying the kit and people living overseas are most likely to be affected by a rubbish postal system.

You should be able to file your 2019/20 self assessment tax return on-line as you were UK resident throughout the tax year.

etf

Return to “International Tax”