This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Setting up business

Startup
Setting up business

Postby Startup » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:00 am

Hi

I am looking a setting up a small business selling on Amazon. All the courses suggest that selling in the US is better to start as demand is much higher on the US platform. I would like to set up a company in the UK as I’m UK based but not sure what the tax implications would be for the two scenarios I have in mind:

1- I trade in the US as a UK based company: would I have to pay corporation tax in both jurisdictions?

2- I trade in the US as a US company: would I have to pay tax on dividends in both jurisdictions?

I’m a bit confused and not even sure if I’d need a UK or a US accountant for this. Would ideally want someone with both.

Also, as I don’t have any income at all now and want to keep my start up costs low, is it easier to just go with option 1 and in time look to incorporate in the US if it makes sense?

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Return to “International Tax”