This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Calculating FTCR and cash basis

canopao
Calculating FTCR and cash basis

Postby canopao » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Hi,
I have some properties in Switzerland which bring a rental income. I pay taxes in Switzerland on them, and then declare the income on my UK tax return. I use the cash basis when working out income and expenses - so I just look at my bank statements to see what money has come in and what has gone out in the April-April period. How do I work out FTCR though? Should I work out FTCR on a cash basis as well - i.e. the tax bills that I have paid in the April-April period? Because of the way the Swiss tax year works (January-December) and the fact that different taxes (Cantonal, Communal, Federal) are paid in instalments at different times, the tax I pay in Switzerland in a particular UK tax year may not actually correspond to the income I have had in that year. Or should I claim Swiss tax for FTCR on an "accruals" basis - trying to work out what tax I have been charged on the income I had in that year (even though the money may not have actually left my account during that financial year)?

Thank you for your advice!

bd6759

Re: Calculating FTCR and cash basis

Postby bd6759 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:18 pm

The foreign tax assessments need to be apportioned, 3 months/9 months to coincide with the UK tax year.

canopao

Postby canopao » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:37 pm

The foreign tax assessments need to be apportioned, 3 months/9 months to coincide with the UK tax year.
That's fair enough - but I've only just received my Swiss tax assessment for 2019. I won't receive the one for 2020 for another year - so do I just estimate how much it's going to be in 2020 and claim an estimated 3 months of 2020?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 pm

Yes.

Return to “International Tax”