This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Business Banking in Asia

s94anderson
UK Business Banking in Asia

Postby s94anderson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:39 am

me and my brother are tattoo artists in the UK. We are both british although have lived in Dubai and Bahrain and have relatives there.

We are wondering if it is possible to have a registered UK business but bank in bahrain purely for tax purposes. I’m sure it would be very easy to setup in Bahrain but i’m sure the UK may have something to say about it with the business based on UK soil?

I do stocks on the side which doesn’t have a physical location which i bank with bank of cyprus again purely for tax purposes so pretty straight forward there.

Whats the best way to go about this if at all possible?

AGoodman

Re: UK Business Banking in Asia

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:04 pm

There's no rule against a UK business having a foreign bank account but yes, it could attract attention. You will also need a UK account for VAT etc.

You will want to be sure it actually brings a tax benefit as if you have a UK trade, the worldwide profits will likely be subject to UK tax.

The same applies to income and gains on your investments. Unless you elect to be taxed on the remittance basis, which is not something to be undertaken lightly (there are significant costs as well as benefits), you are likely subject to UK tax on your worldwide profits.

Return to “International Tax”