This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is remmitance basis on accrual or cash basis?

nordman
Is remmitance basis on accrual or cash basis?

Postby nordman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:18 pm

I became UK tax resident mid-year and have a sole trader activity conducted abroad and accounted as cash basis.
Shall I follow the same accounting basis from a UK perspective? am I free to choose another accounting basis which is more beneficial in case of the remittance basis?

maths

Re: Is remmitance basis on accrual or cash basis?

Postby maths » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:00 am

It is in HMRC's view practically impossible whilst UK resident to run a sole readership business so that the trading income has a foreign source.

In short, in such circumstances the trading income does not qualify for remittance basis treatment.

nordman

Postby nordman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am

It is in HMRC's view practically impossible whilst UK resident to run a sole readership business so that the trading income has a foreign source.

In short, in such circumstances the trading income does not qualify for remittance basis treatment.
During that year, I was French treaty resident. The DTA says:
- article 3.k "the term “business” includes the performance of professional services and of other activities of an independent character."
- article 7.1 "The profits of an enterprise of a Contracting State shall be taxable only in that State unless the enterprise carries on business in the other Contracting State through a permanent establishment situated therein."

My understanding is that the sole trader activity conducted in France is taxable there, but as soon as I become UK tax resident only, I will be liable to declare it in the UK as part of my global income. Is my reading correct?

If my reading is correct, can I declare it to UK based either on accrual or cash basis?

maths

Postby maths » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 am

My understanding is that the sole trader activity conducted in France is taxable there, but as soon as I become UK tax resident only, I will be liable to declare it in the UK as part of my global income. Is my reading correct?
Yes.

If my reading is correct, can I declare it to UK based either on accrual or cash basis?

Yes.

Return to “International Tax”