This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on foreign income if moving abroad

canopao
Tax on foreign income if moving abroad

Postby canopao » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi,
I am a Swiss citizen, but deemed domiciled in the UK as I have lived here for 30 years. I have some properties in Switzerland which are rented and give me an income. I pay tax on that income in Switzerland, then declare it to HMRC and pay tax on it here too, claiming FTCR for what I've already paid in Switzerland.

I am thinking about moving back to Switzerland and renting out the house my wife and I co-own in the UK.

If we do so, I understand I will have to declare my rental income to HMRC and pay tax on it. Will I also need to pay tax on my global income to HMRC though? i.e. will I continue to have to declare the income from the Swiss properties in the UK and pay tax on it to HMRC as if I was still resident in the UK?

Thanks!

maths

Re: Tax on foreign income if moving abroad

Postby maths » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm

No.

As a non-UK resident you are exposed to UK income tax only on UK source income eg UK rents.

Return to “International Tax”