This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Freelancing as Yoga Teacher in Germany

Globi
Freelancing as Yoga Teacher in Germany

Postby Globi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi,

I would hugely appreciate any advice regarding a life plan which I have. I'm British and have worked full time as a self-employed yoga teacher for several years. I of course declare all my income (which is on the modest end of things) via self-assesment.

I fancy a change of scene and wish to spend a year working in Germany. To help finance this temporary move, I'll be renting out my flat in the UK. Where it gets tricky is with taxation - I obviously want everything all square and I have these questions:

Once in Germany:

- On my UK tax return, I imagine I need to fill it out as per usual (most of the income will simply be flat rental) with the addition of the foreign pages - is that the case?
- I will need to register in Germany for a tax number once I have completed my registration of residence.
- Do I also put the income from my UK flat rental on the German tax return? I'd rather not pay tax twice.
- Would it be advisable to have both a UK accountant and a German accountant due to the extra complexity? I'm rather used to doing things myself to save money.
- I do speak German proficiently, however the tax-related language is a little outside my knowledge base.

Any thoughts most welcome!

Return to “International Tax”