This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving back to the UK from India

India2UK22
Moving back to the UK from India

Postby India2UK22 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:05 pm

HI Forum,

This is my first post on this forum, so greetings to all members. Hope you are well.

We were based in the UK from early 2008 and moved to India in 2014 after attaining British Citizenship. Both our kids were born in the UK and are British Citizens.

As we prepare to move back to the UK in Summer 2022, some tax queries have started to bother me.

1. I will be repatriating some funds to the UK, while we are still in India in 2021. These are from the redemptions of my mutual fund portfolio in India, and I will be paying due taxes on them in India. Could there be any problems with the UK tax laws about the repatriation of the funds?

2. We will be able to redeem some more Indian mutual funds after we move to the UK in 2022, so we will be tax-resident in the UK at the time. How would the tax treatment be for these redemptions and subsequent repatriation?

Thanks in advance forum, will appreciate all inputs.

Regards

Return to “International Tax”