This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Requesting unilateral tax relief from HMRC

darthblingbling
Re: Requesting unilateral tax relief from HMRC

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Sorry, by client I mean your father. Annoying that this forum does not have an edit function.

tiengodue

Postby tiengodue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 pm

If the UK has the primary rights to tax under treaty then HMRC are not going to allow an FTC under unilateral relief as legislation expressly restricts this.

If the client can't get an an exemption from withholding in Italy then HMRC would assume a tax refund in Italy would be filed instead to claim a refund under the terms of the double tax treaty. If the Italian authorities reject this then it would make interesting reading as to why. In addition, an FTC claim is usually based on the actual tax liability and not withholding taxes (although the latter is usually used as an estimate if the tax return in the other state has not yet been finalised in time, with the expectation that an amendment is made later if the difference is 'excessive').
sorry what is an FTC claim?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Foreign tax credit, i.e. a credit for the Italian taxes against the UK liability on the same income.

Sorry, forget that I shouldn't overuse acronyms.

Return to “International Tax”