This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT IF MOVING TO IRELAND FROM ENGLAND 2

Surrey12
CGT IF MOVING TO IRELAND FROM ENGLAND 2

Postby Surrey12 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:59 pm

Hello

Apologies, tried to add this to previous post but can't see how to do that.

Query is:

If moving to Ireland from England and have a second UK property to sell in addition to my UK ppr.

If eventually I sell the property after I am classed as being a tax resident in Ireland, will I be assessed at UK or Ireland CGT rates?

The link below has the double tax treaty and states "Capital gains from the alienation of immovable property may be taxed in the Contracting
State in which such property is situated" Does this mean it will still be subject to UK CGT?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tax-agreements/double-taxation-treaties/U/uk.aspx

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Best regards
Rob

AGoodman

Re: CGT IF MOVING TO IRELAND FROM ENGLAND 2

Postby AGoodman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes, you'll have a UK liability for selling a UK 2nd property. You may also have a liability in Ireland but get credit for the UK tax paid.

You will also need to check that you don't have an Irish tax liability on selling your main home. Just because you get PPR in the UK, doesn't mean you will get the same treatment there.

AGoodman

Re: CGT IF MOVING TO IRELAND FROM ENGLAND 2

Postby AGoodman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes, you'll have a UK liability for selling a UK 2nd property. You may also have a liability in Ireland but get credit for the UK tax paid.

You will also need to check that you don't have an Irish tax liability on selling your main home. Just because you get PPR in the UK, doesn't mean you will get the same treatment there (in other words, I have no idea what the rule is in Ireland).

Return to “International Tax”