This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sending foreign earned income to UK and tax exposure

bubu
Sending foreign earned income to UK and tax exposure

Postby bubu » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:00 am

Hi everybody,

Can non-residents expats (UK domiciled) remit their foreign earned income to the UK and not have to pay tax on it? Do they even need to declare the remitted money, on the annual Tax Return or not?

How about if they become resident in the UK half way through the tax year, can they still remit the foreign income they earned while non-resident in UK and not have to pay tax on it, even after they have returned to the UK. And would this remitted money be needed/not needed to be declared on TR or not?

Thank you in advance.

maths

Re: Sending foreign earned income to UK and tax exposure

Postby maths » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Monies earned outside the UK whilst non-UK resident are not subject to UK income tax whether remitted to the UK or not.

bubu

Postby bubu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Thank you for clarifying maths.

Does that also mean if I have money remitted to my UK bank whilst I am back in the UK, that that money is not necessary to declare or pay tax on either? I had a family emergency and had to return to the UK fast, (hence a friend remitted my money for me) Thanks.

bubu

Postby bubu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Thank you for clarifying maths.

Does that also mean if I have money remitted to my UK bank whilst I am back in the UK, that that money is not necessary to declare or pay tax on either? I had a family emergency and had to return to the UK fast, (hence a friend remitted my money for me) Thanks.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 pm

Does that also mean if I have money remitted to my UK bank whilst I am back in the UK, that that money is not necessary to declare or pay tax on either?

Correct.

Return to “International Tax”