This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Split year

chops2112
Split year

Postby chops2112 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi

My question relates to the timing of when you leave the UK and cease to have a home in the UK as regards to split year treatment.

I understand my situation of leaving the UK permanently and ceasing to have a home in the UK and being resident there after in the the foreign country fits with case 3.

My question is does it matter what time of the year you leave?
For example if you depart the UK (and cease to have a home or any ties in the UK in the second half of the tax year i.e. after September)does that make a difference? Or does it not matter what day you leave the UK it just starts from that day regardless whether it is in the first half of the second half of the tax year?

Hope you can help I've been looking all over to get some clarification on that bit it doesn't say anywhere I can find.

This would be for CGT not income tax

Hope you can help,

Thanks

Tim

Return to “International Tax”