This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign Life Insurance Policy

CG
Foreign Life Insurance Policy

Postby CG » Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm

My client is Japanese but has lived in the UK for many years and completes a UK Tax Return. She is the named beneficiary on a Life Insurance policy that her Japanese mother had taken out in Japan. She has received the money which will all be used paying for the funeral and related arrangements in Japan. No money will be brought back to the UK.

Does this give rise to any UK tax liability?

Many thanks for any advice here.

maths

Re: Foreign Life Insurance Policy

Postby maths » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm

I assume the client was UK domiciled or deemed domiciled at the time of death of her mother ie the remittance basis will not apply.

I assume the policy was not settled on trust but was in the absolute ownership pf your client.

The policy as a foreign policy is not a qualifying policy and therefore on death a so-called chargeable event will occur; any gain arising will be subject to UK income tax irrespective of how the proceeds are spent and/or whether no monies are brought to the UK.

Return to “International Tax”