This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

J-1 visa - tax question regarding tax treaty

ojazz5
J-1 visa - tax question regarding tax treaty

Postby ojazz5 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:57 pm

Dear All,

Could I ask your advice regarding tax treaties.

I am going to the USA to work as a doctor next month for 12-18 months. I'll be on a J-1 visa and thus be considered a 'nonresident alien'.

I received a 'travelling fellowship' from a medical society in the USA. This is for the purposes of education and non-compensatory.

The society have told me they need to deduct 14% state tax from the fellowship money.

I wanted to ask whether this is correct? Or whether under the tax treaty with the UK I would have any arguement for an exemption?

many thanks

DavidTreitel

Re: J-1 visa - tax question regarding tax treaty

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 am

Withholding tax is never a final tax. You'll calculate the correct levels of Federal & State tax due when you file your US tax returns.

ojazz5

Re: J-1 visa - tax question regarding tax treaty

Postby ojazz5 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:25 pm

thanks for your response - I understand that.

What I wonder is, what is the taxation rate for a UK J-1 visa holder for a non-compensatory education fellowship?

Are there are any uk tax treaties relevant here?

Return to “International Tax”