This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US citizen with UK limited company doing job for US client

Millerp5
US citizen with UK limited company doing job for US client

Postby Millerp5 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:07 pm

Hello,

I'm a US citizen living in the UK, working through my LTD on freelance projects for clients usually located in UK.
On occasion I have jobs that come from the US, and I'm wondering how that is handled from a tax perspective?

Besides providing the US business with a w9 including my name and UK address and US social security number, and an invoice with my UK LTD's
bank details for payment, is there anything else I should watch out for/be aware of?

Thanks!
Pascal Miller

DavidTreitel

Re: US citizen with UK limited company doing job for US client

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:16 am

One assumes that the entity has elected to be disregarded to avoid SubpartF, other CFC and GILTI tax rules. Is that correct?

Millerp5

Postby Millerp5 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 am

Hello David,

I'm not sure if I have elected to be disregarded. On my W9 form I have in the past selected
(Indvidual/sole proprietor or single member llc)

I'm not sure if this changes anything, but my ltd here in the UK is just a vehicle for me to freelance. My ltd here is not a subsidiary of some company back home.
(unless as a US person I'm somehow under that umbrella)

Kind regards,
Pascal

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:15 pm

As the entity has never elected to be disregarded, you'd be filing Form 5471 which includes calculating any SubPart F income and - just possibly - GILTI tax liability each year. This is not the ideal option. I'd suggest discussing this issue with the company's existing accountants.

Return to “International Tax”