This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working a contractor for a French company but being paid by a UK agent

dominoman
Working a contractor for a French company but being paid by a UK agent

Postby dominoman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:40 pm

This is slightly complicated, to me at least...

I got a job starting next month in Paris. I will be paid in Euros by the UK-based agent that got me the job. I am actually a resident of Abu Dhabi where I live full-time now with my other half.

What's the best way for me to be paid. If I set up my own company in UK can I avoid IR35? And what kinds of costs can I offset against tax? My flights to Paris from Abu Dhabi? Accommodation in Paris? Food?

Sorry for all the basic questions. I have not worked as a contractor for many years.

Samson22

Re: Working a contractor for a French company but being paid by a UK agent

Postby Samson22 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Unless I am missing something as your not resident in uk no uk income tax will apply.

dominoman

Postby dominoman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 am

Hmm. Well that would be good news. Currently I am in Abu Dhabi but havent declared myself as non resident. I will need to do that.

So I can still have a UK company and not pay income tax when I take money out of it?

Samson22

Postby Samson22 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:12 pm

Taking money out of a uk company would be a different matter and uk tax on dividends tax would be payable (not with standing any Abu Dhabi tax) Unless I am mistaken. However I would caution full uk income tax will be due if you have not been non resident 5 tax/6 actual years.

But best wait for better minds to come along.

bibescu

Postby bibescu » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 pm

If you are paid by a French company, you have to comply with the French legislation and also the legislation of the country where you are a tax resident.
There are some rules related to being treated as an employee of self-employment in France.
In my opinion, you have to ask your new company.

dominoman

Postby dominoman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:57 pm

Would I be right in thinking that because my UK company is being paid by the French company, I wouldn't have to pay income tax in France, so long as I don't draw down any income until after I have finished the work and left France?

I could then take a mixture of income and dividends, spread out over a longer period, to reduce UK taxation.

Return to “International Tax”