This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Indian Expat - Fund transfer from UAE to UK

vinay
Indian Expat - Fund transfer from UAE to UK

Postby vinay » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:41 am

HI,

Currently, I am an Indian Citizen working for a company in the UK (Tier 2 General visa) as a scientist from Jan 2020.
Between the Year 2000 - 2018, I was working in UAE and my earnings (source: savings from salary) are in my UAE HSBC bank account.

Now that I am in the UK and planning to apply for UK citizenship in the Year 2026, I would like to transfer my earnings in UAE HSBC account to the London HSBC account.

Will I be taxed in the UK for the above fund?

Thanks,
Vinay

AGoodman

Re: Indian Expat - Fund transfer from UAE to UK

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:54 pm

No, any income you received in tax years prior to becoming UK resident are considered capital from a UK perspective and not subject to tax here.

If your Dubai account has accrued any interest while you have been UK resident, that should be declared/taxed as income for the relevant tax year. You could still take advantage of the savings allowance, which is £1000 for basic rate taxpayers and £500 for higher rate taxpayers, meaning any such interest is likely to be under the threshold unless you have a high balance or very good rates.

vinay

Re: Indian Expat - Fund transfer from UAE to UK

Postby vinay » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Hello Good man,
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Just to be on a safer side if any questions arise from concerned authorities in future, is there a gov website available in UK for me to refer about the same?

thanks,
Vinay

Return to “International Tax”