This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Hong Kong to UK tax? Help needed

Totalidiot
Hong Kong to UK tax? Help needed

Postby Totalidiot » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi,
Really hope someone has come across this situation and can give me some advice.

I have around 75000usd profit that I am trying to withdraw from a Hong Kong trading account.
I am now being told that I must pay 20% tax as an upfront payment to Border Control tax centre before the money can be paid into my uk bank account.
This sounds completely wrong, but I have been unable to find any details on this tax.
Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing?
I strongly suspect that it is a scam, as I have not been given the option to have the tax deducted at source.
Am I being duped?

bd6759

Re: Hong Kong to UK tax? Help needed

Postby bd6759 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:47 am

There is no such thing.

iwmtaxadvisor

Re: Hong Kong to UK tax? Help needed

Postby iwmtaxadvisor » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am

One puzzles over who is suggesting they will not redeem the account. If a broker then first write to the compliance team if that fails to get a reply within three days go straight here
https://www.sfc.hk/en/Lodge-a-complaint (assuming they are registered in Hong Kong)
and given the current state of China and its attitude to foreign capital ask for a reference to a local lawyer from one of the private banks there
There's nothing in the DTT about such a withholding tax, and even if there were one would not expect to be called 'Border Control'.
Robert Warren
Book a free meeting

Return to “International Tax”