This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mix and Match Monthly and Annual Exchange Rates in SA

DtheRed
Mix and Match Monthly and Annual Exchange Rates in SA

Postby DtheRed » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi,

I am filling in my Self-Assessment (SA) and had a couple of questions (I asked HMRC but they were 'vague'). The thing is I have foreign income (in foreign currency) over 2020-2021. As a UK taxpayer, I pay the tax here. HMRC have said I can choose between their Monthly and Annual published exchange rates, whichever is preferable.

My question is can I mix and match HMRC's various published exchange rates within the same tax year? For example, can I use their Annual Exchange Rate for income Apr-Nov and Monthly Exchange rate for Dec-Mar? OR do I need to use the same set for the whole tax year?

With the turbulant nature of exchange rates this can add up - in this case over £1000 if I can mix and match.

Any help appreciated!

Dee

AGoodman

Re: Mix and Match Monthly and Annual Exchange Rates in SA

Postby AGoodman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 pm

No, you need to choose one or the other

DtheRed

Re: Mix and Match Monthly and Annual Exchange Rates in SA

Postby DtheRed » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Thanks

Return to “International Tax”