This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Italian or UK Income Tax

Hector20
Italian or UK Income Tax

Postby Hector20 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi all,
I have question regarding where I should pay my income Tax -

I am a British Citizen, and at the start of the contract detailed below I was resident in the UK.

I went to work in Italy in October 2020. The assignment was scheduled to be for approximately 2 years so the intention was to obtain Italian Residency, I have an Italian bank account and a Codice Fiscali but never got residency. Due to Covid I only worked in Italy in October and November 2020 and then returned home to work in the UK for a couple of months on the same contract. The agency I was working through insisted that whilst working in the UK I should be paid in the UK so I set up a limited Company for this, no issues on this one as I will pay my corporation tax and any personal tax via PAYE in the UK. The work came to an end in April 2021 so I only actually worked for 2 months in Italy.

What should happen with the income tax for the earnings in Italy in Oct, Nov 2020?
The agency I worked through have an Italian accountant representing me and he has arranged the relevant Income Tax payments (F24) in Italy, from my Italian bank account, so I have paid the going rate of tax in Italy for these two months. I now have to submit my UK tax return for 20-21 and as I look into this in more detail I am concerned that HMRC will also want the income tax on Oct, Nov 20 earnings from Italy as well, they will then leave me to try and obtain a tax refund in Italy!

Does anyone have any idea on what should happen in this situation?

Thanks

Return to “International Tax”