This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Account has failed us

gruppe8
Account has failed us

Postby gruppe8 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:29 pm

Any advice would be helpful, we use an accountant last tax year no problem, this year a problem, we met the accountant on the 15th december handed over my wifes details, figures income etc etc,
we did not hear from him, i started contact 5 days ago, calls not answered, an email was sent we received a email with the tax return late thursday, it was not correct, all of friday i tried contact, the accountant company owner was not that interested, in fact 7 hours of calls with promises of contact did not happen, even if we thought the tax return was correct we could not have contacted him, my wife has some property abroad, which is rental income and a small self employment in the Uk she is resident in the uk,

I tried to complete the tax return myself but the foreign tax credit relief form sa106 can not be from what i have seen sent online, last year we claimed foreign tax credit relief, this is something the accountant missed this year, so my questions are 1 should i complete her self assessment for the nominal uk money which is low and not taxable ?? and try to post off a printed out sa106 form, 2 is it possible to incorporate the foreign tax on a standard self assessment i can't see how to so this ?? 3 should i try and engage an accountant on monday bearing in mind its the last day and even then would the sa106 not arrive on time, 4 obviously a fine is not great if we are fined then we will have to pay is it worth contacting hmrc to explain the situation, because trying to get an accountant this late is impossible probably. any help advice would be great in this stressful situation

bd6759

Re: Account has failed us

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:17 pm

Leaving it until 15 December was not helpful.

Good news is that HMRC won’t charge a penalty until after the end of February. That gives you leeway to sort it out.

Return to “International Tax”