This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Foreign income

Mvd
Foreign income

Postby Mvd » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi, I received a letter from hmrc today. Saying they have information I gained income abroad and that this doesn't match my tax return. I declared intrest gained on an account I have abroad in my tax return and have no other income. It is not much at all. I don't know what to do and am panicking. Please advice. I have to fill in a declaration and send it back within 30 days. I am a EU citizen living here.
Thanks.

pawncob

Re: Foreign income

Postby pawncob » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:31 am

If you're sure you've included all your foreign income on the return, just reply saying that you believe the return to be correct.
HMRC often fail to correctly reconcile foreign income information with the amount on the return.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Re: Foreign income

Postby maths » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:27 pm

I tend to agree with pawncob.

HMRC often send out such letters without too much checking/research on their part and as a consequence they're not always accurate. Did you include the foreign income "gross" claiming a foreign tax credit assuming foreign tax was charged?

I'd be wary of signing and returning any "declaration" sent by HMRC. As pawncob suggest simply write a letter confirming that you believe your tax return to be correct.

Return to “International Tax”