This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

avoiding or evading tax?

joszzz

Postby joszzz » Sun May 11, 2003 8:23 am

Hi,

Great forum, very useful

My case is as follows,

My partner and I(not married) will get about 500k from remortgaging 3 houses.

My partner has dual nationality(Guyana/UK)
I have Dutch nationality.

Would one (or both) of us able to set up an offshore company based on our nationalities?

It is quite confusing to read about non-domicile, non-resident e.g. So I thought that me being non-uk resident(ok, I live here, but not registered in any way, how can inland revenue ever find out???) would qualify me for creating an offshore an invest in uk?

Or in the light of the European Union, is this not possible?

If the above doesn't apply to me and my partner, would it then be an option for my partners father or other family member(non-uk,non eu, never been either) to set it up and give us the authority to buy houses and arrange mortgages in his/her name?

thanks,

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Wed May 14, 2003 9:31 am

Tax evasion is a serious criminal offence that may lead to a large payment of tax owed ,interest and penalties of up to 100% of the tax owed not to mention large professional fees and up to 18 months of negotiations and investigation.

As a Dutch National you may well be able to take advantage of Non-Domicile status and set up an offshore structure to use as an investment vehicle.

You need to take professional advice and take the steps to be treated as UK Resident.

Daniel Feingold
Strategic Tax Planning
International & UK Tax consultants
e-mail:sedrate@easynet.co.uk

DF

Postby DF » Thu May 15, 2003 5:33 am

Anyone can have an offshore company regardless of their personal tax status.

However, many jurisdicions (including the UK) have anti avoidance legislation that can apply a tax charge on the income of an offshore person where they are resident in the UK.

The tone of your note suggest that you are willing to take risks with regard to your version of "tax planning" and on that basis you will find it difficult to obtain helpful advice.

Return to “International Tax”