This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Business - must it be registered in France?

ThomasA

Postby ThomasA » Wed May 21, 2003 2:49 am

Hi, would welcome any pointers on this query.

I am moving to France and will be domiciled there for tax purposes. Part of my income will come from an existing UK business which I own and I will work part-time on the business from France. I expect to declare my income on my French tax return but I'm wondering if there are rules as to whether the business itself should be registered in France. I want to avoid this if possible as the business has an advantageous tax loss position in the UK. Anyone come across this before?
Thanks.

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Thu May 22, 2003 1:17 am

Dear Thomas A,

One of the important questions is whether by business you mean a ltd Company or a sole trader/ Partnership.
The nature of the work you do is also important. Is the income you derive salary, consultancy fees or profit share. The Double taxation treaty might be useful in this respect,as will the advice of a French tax adviser. These issues are best resolved between professionals from bot countries.

UK& International Tax law editor.
Daniel Feingold

irussell@eim.ae

Postby irussell@eim.ae » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:22 pm

Thomas

I am a UK National, planning to move to France from Dubai very soon. I am selling my house in the UK and want to open a new company, off shore if possible to invoice a German company for 2 to 4 months freelance training. The rest of the year I intend to enjoy the French countryside and live life at a slower pace.

My needs in France will be much less than the money I can earn and therefore want to maintain a steady flow of minimal income in order to maintain a reserve for later years.

Can I set up a Jersey based comapny and pay myself a small regular salary to France of course paying what ever French Income tax is due?

regards

Ian Russell
irussell@eim.ae

Return to “International Tax”