This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How does IHT affect unmarried partners

jelly

Postby jelly » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:48 am

My partner & I are unmarried as His ex is a devout Catholic & doesn't believe in devorce in addition she is heavly disabled so he continues to visit and make sure she her washing etc is seen to. He ownes a house jointly which she lives in and which he has given to her in his will.

My partner & I own two properties one in Uk valued at approx £260,000 and one in Greece valued at approx £70,000 what will our position be re inheretance tax if one or other of us dies?

mark

Postby mark » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:17 am

If you own the properties jointly, on the first death the property automatically becomes the property of the co-owner.

It is possible to sever this arrangement, so that you can leave your share in the properties to someone else if you wish.

IHT will be payable (subject to the nil rate band). Unlike the position for spouses where transfers between them are generally IHT exempt, this is not the case for partners.

However, the property being left to your partner should pass free of IHT (assuming the parties are UK domiciled).

Hope this helps.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”