This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

gifting shares

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Postby yearplanner » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:30 pm

if you have a valuable ltd company (1m+) and wish your 2 children (10&5) and your lifelong partner to benefit from it on death , hopefully 20 years +. what is the best way to ensure they get as much value as possible.
any advice would be appreciated before i spend money on an advisor.

Peter D
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby Peter D » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:41 am

The title mentions shares. Does your company have a shares issue ?? Are you the sole owner of the Company may be you should have joint ownership with your partner. Partners and Wife are different when IHT is involved and even gifts, like half a company. Finding the right advisor is not easy, I recommend an informal chat with an IHT expert perhaps associated to you Solicitors office, or a Wealth Manager ask your bank ( Very Biased ) for a recommendation. Set up a brief informal meeting and briefly discuss the issue and assertain whether specailise in this type of advise. Close the discussion and declare that you will but him/her in the melting pot and come back to him at a later date when you have all the facts. Regards Peter

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:09 am

There are far too many factors affecting IHT planning to go into any detail in this forum.

I would suggest you contact a tax adviser listed in the 'Find a professional' link to the right.

Most firms listed will offer a free intial consultation, but given the sums involved, paid advice will likely save you a considerable sum in the long run.

MMI Accountancy

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”