This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Proceeds from sale of home

mark_r

Postby mark_r » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:11 am

I am a widow and sold my home last year. I gave the proceeds of this sale, £620,000, to my 4 children as an unconditional gift (writing a signed letter to confirm this) in an attempt to make the most of the seven year rule to avoid IHT. They then decided to put the money into a joint account and not to touch it until after my death. However, I am concerned that by doing this it may appear that the money was not a gift at all and that my intentions could be disputed. Any thoughts?

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:36 am

Unless you have control of the account or the money was somehow re-routed back for your benefit I don't see a problem?

maths

Postby maths » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 am

Agree with CDavey.

If gift by you unconditional; if children decided amongst themselves to put money into joint account to which you are not a party; if they without your participation decided to leave it there until your death; then no problems for you.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”