This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deed of variation

cornish

Postby cornish » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:21 am

I have been reading Nigel Lord's two replies to Cheshire taxpayer dated 15 Oct 2002. I'm a little confused as in the first reply he discounts a deed at the end of the first paragraph. Then in the final paragraph of the second response he seems to say it is the right thing to do.
To be specific, is a Deed possible even though the deceased and his wife were only joint tenants or do they have to be tenants in common? If the survivor then occupies the property what is the rent/tax position of her and the ultimate beneficiaries?

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:16 am

Cornish

It is a little scary that answers provided such a long time ago are still being read. I would comment that the British tax system is in a constant state of evolution as is the tax planning industry that has built up around it. Therefore last year's answers may have become obsolete or been superseded by more effective solutions.

I am unable to locate the original query and response and should be grateful if you could reproduce this.

To answer your specific query: a joint tenancy overrides the will provisions and therefore a deed of variation will have no effect in diverting these away from the surviving joint tenant.

I suspect that my answer recommended the use of a deed of variation to divert other assets away from the surviving spouse (up to the nil rate band, currently £255,000). This would still be effective to a degree. By using a will trust it is not necessary to specify the nature of the assets and it would be possible to loan them back to the beneficiaries. Obviously they would not include any property that has reverted to the surviving joint tenant.

This is quite complex and professional advice should be sould always be sought. The cost of proper implementation should not be prohibitive. The cost of incorrect implementation certainly would be.

Nigel Lord
Lord Associates
Taxation & Business Consultants
Caxton House
Old Station Road
Loughton
Essex, IG10 4PE
020 8418 9101 & 07769 931852

Nigel Lord

Postby Nigel Lord » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:46 am

Cornish

I have now located the original posting and reproduce it below for ease of reference.

I have taken advice and I am reliably informed that it IS possible to sever a joint tenancy post death by deed of variation. I am also advised that it is even possible to retrospectively sever joint tenancy of a bank account My apologies to anyone who has been misled.

Please refer to me if I may be if I may be of any further assistance.

Nigel Lord

Can a deed of variation utilise the first 'tax-free slice'?

14 Oct 2002 : Cheshire Taxpayer

My father in law recently died leaving everything to his wife. His most valuable asset was his halfshare of the marital home (total value around £350,000) which passed automatically to his wife as they owned it via a joint tenancy. We were advised that a Deed of Variation, whereby my mother in law passes her late husband's share directly to her son and daughter, may help avoid or reduce IHT on my mother in law's death. But we now understand that she would have to pay rent to her children if she continues to occupy the house - and that rent would count as taxable income. If she were to pay rent, would it only be for the half of the house which she doesn't own? And could the children offset their share of expenses such as electricity, insurance etc against the rental income? As my m-in-l has a small income could she provide services in kind (eg livery for a horse)? She is wary of trusts, mortgages etc. All advice very welcome!

15 Oct 2002 : Nigel Lord

The use of a deed of variation to alter the deceased bequests to ensure that they are inheritance tax efficient is standard practice. It is accepted by the Inland Revenue. Unfortunately, deeds of variation are unable to alter legal entitlements. Where a joint tenancy exists, the jointly owned property (the family home) automatically passed to the other joint owner (your mother-in-law) irrespective of the terms of the will. So varying them will not help the position.

If part, or all, of the property were now gifted to your mother-in-law's proposed benficiaries, this would be a transfer for inheritance tax purposes. If she retained no benefit in the property, this would be a potentially exempt transfer (PET), and would leave her estate completely after 7 years. However, if she continued to live there, and did not pay a commercial rent, it would be a gift with reservation of benefit (GROB) and would be ineffective for inheritance tax planing purposes. If a commercial rent was paid, the recipients would be liable to pay income tax on the net profit at their marginal rate. This would probably not be tax effective.

If one of your mother-in-law's children lived in the property, it would be possible to transfer part of the property to them without adverse tax consequences, but advice should be taken.

There is a partial solution that may be acceptable, but it does involve establishing a trust. It would be relatively low cost and uncomplicated as far as your mother-in-law is concerned. She would be able to continue to retain control of assets and enjoy income, but her estate would benefit by reducing its exposure to tax by 40% on up to £250,000 worth of assets.

If you would like my firm to implement this planning, or to review your mother-in-law's estate's exposure to inheritance tax, we would be pleased to act on your family's behalf.

Nigel Lord

15 Oct 2002 : Cheshire Taxpayer

Thank you for your comments - we will speak to my mother in law about a trust. Incidentally I understand that a Deed of Variation can be used to redirect an asset held in a joint tenancy which would otherwise pass to the surviving joint tenant and that by means of a statutory fiction the Revenue will, if required, treat the gift as having been made by the deceased person (Ref: Deeds of Variation, Thomas Snell & Passmore, www.ts-p.co.uk). Hence my question about rent being payable by my mother in law on only half the house; if this were the case it might help a bit but as you point out any rent is taxable and so we could lose any advantage gained.

The property in question is a 9-acre smallholding with fields, woodland, stables and a pig breeding unit, and until my father-in-law's retirement 15 years ago was run as a farm. It still requires considerable upkeep and paid assistance to keep going although there is now only one horse - would it be possible for m-in-l to set these expenses and her own hard work against a market rent?

15 Oct 2002 : Nigel Lord

The market rent that would need to be payable would be that which any onconnected person would pay for the benefit provided. It would therefore be set at a level that would recognise the costs and efforts required to maintain the property.

Any costs absorbed by the new owner(s) would be relievable against the rental income.

As there is a much more cost effective option available (the deed of variation and will trust), that would require less administration than the market rent option, I recommend that this is the strategy followed.

Nigel Lord

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”