This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

am i right in thinking

PAP

Postby PAP » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:39 am

in Feb 2000 my father made a tennants in common trust between himself me an my brother with equal shares in the property.
My brother and i did not live there and my dad lived there . He paid no rent but was responsible for the maintenance.
Does this mean only his third is calculated for IHT or because he paid no rent would it be the full value even though he was responsible and not ourselves for the maintenance.

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:41 am

Pap,

Your fathers estate probably contains the whole value of the property, as this would normally be seen as a "gift with reservation" if a simple gift occurred.

If the value of the property and the remaining estate is less than £255,000 there will be IHT to pay. Your solicitor should be able to advise you further on this.

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”