This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deed of Variation

Fotoman

Postby Fotoman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:16 am

Would it be feasible to apply for a Deed of Variation on my father's will to allow for the fact that he could have gifted £6,000 (2007 allowance and 2006 allowance) from his estate.

This is something we always used to comment on and joke about. However, he unfortunately died suddenly. Had he have known he was dying, he would almost certainly have given away all that he was legally entitled to do.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:38 am

No I'm afraid not. This allowance is during his lifetime and not directed by his will. Do you have an IHT problem ?? Where is you Mum in this situation. Regards Peter

Fotoman

Postby Fotoman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:10 am

Sadly, Mum died some years ago. Problem? Yes, I have a major problem with the Taxman taxing me 40% on money that my father had already paid 40% tax on!

maths

Postby maths » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am

Don't forget that under the new rules whatever part of the nil rate band your mum didn't use can inflate your father's nil rate band.

If all mum's assets passed to her husband, for example,dad's nil rate band would be £600,000.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”