This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS unquoted shares

leighc

Postby leighc » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:10 pm

My mother has recently died leaving some unquoted shares. I know these were purchased under the EIS scheme over five years ago. I believe the EIS sheme had some tax advantages but does this include exemption from IHT? I understand that certain unquoted shares - AIM? - are not liable to IHT but how do I find out if my mother's shares fall into this category?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

TN

Postby TN » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Unquotes shares in a trading company should qualify in whole or in part for Business Property Relief at 100% - effectively meaning that they are IHT free. There are other conditions for them to qualify - e.g. must have been owned for 2 years prior to the death, no binding contract for sale etc. Your solicitor should be able to establish whether you qualify. Look out for any pre-emption rights over the shares.

leighc

Postby leighc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Belated thank you TN. I am not using a solicitor for probate so is there anywhere I can check myself to confirm whether or not the shares qualify? (They have definitely been owned for longer than 2 years.) Forgive my ignorance but what are pre-emption rights?
Thank you again for your reply.

TN

Postby TN » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:45 pm

You could ask the company to see whether they have had a review. Other than that you can either pay for a review or, if you believe it will qualify, complete the probate forms on the basis it does and wait for an enquiry from HMRC.

Pre-emption rights and right for other shareholders to buy the shares of a deceased shareholder. This gives security that the control of the company won't be lost. However, if there is a binding contract for sale at the time of death then the BPR is not allowed. You need to check whether the pre-emption rights (if any) are a binding contract for sale.

leighc

Postby leighc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks again TN. I will go for the BPR. I am certain pre-emption rights are not an issue (now that I know what they are!)

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”