This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

overseas gift

riccardob
overseas gift

Postby riccardob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 pm

I was wondering what the taxation situation would be in the following scenario:

A is domiciled in the uk but has assets abroad ie. bank account. A transfers overseas bank account money to B in same overseas country. B has no connection to the UK but is related to A ie brother. B then sends money to C who is son of A who resides in UK. Overseas country does not tax this sort of transfer or indeed gift to overseas relatives or other people.

Would UK hmrc track this transaction down to A and slam IHT should A die before seven years since the gift to B was made in overseas country?

Many thanks

section 44

Re: overseas gift

Postby section 44 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 pm

If A transfers money to B on condition that B will transfer it to C then A would not be making a gift to B.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 pm

In short, in theory "yes" in practice possibly not.

In practice it would depend upon the amounts involved.

However, on the death of "A" the executors of A's will are under an obligation to track all gifts made within 7 years of death and disclose them; on looking through A's bank account any transfers are likely (ie should be) to be questioned, in particular, if the monies move abroad.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

However, on the death of "A" the executors of A's will are under an obligation to track all gifts made within 7 years of death and disclose them; on looking through A's bank account any transfers are likely (ie should be) to be questioned, in particular, if the monies move abroad.
the money would be moving from an EU country to a UK account. Does HMRC have powers to search through a third party account?

In theory A could gift B money and then B decides unilaterally to give money to A regardless of hit purposes. I know it is "pulling a fast one" but in practice I would think HMRC would have difficulties in proving that B purposely received money from A in order to benefit C. especially if such transaction was carried out in an overseas jurisdiction.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm

I'll rephrase my post as:

the money would be moving from an EU country to a UK account. Does HMRC have powers to search through a third party account?

In theory A could gift B money and then B decides unilaterally to give money to C regardless of hit purposes. I know it is "pulling a fast one" but in practice I would think HMRC would have difficulties in proving that B purposely received money from A in order to benefit C. especially if such transaction was carried out in an overseas jurisdiction.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:58 pm

I'll rephrase my post as:

the money would be moving from an EU country to a UK account. A has account in EU country not UK and so does B.

Does HMRC have powers to search through a third party account ie. B in another country?

In theory A could gift B money and then B decides unilaterally to give money to C regardless of hit purposes. I know it is "pulling a fast one" but in practice I would think HMRC would have difficulties in proving that B purposely received money from A in order to benefit C. especially if such transaction was carried out in an overseas jurisdiction.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Bottom line, is that onus of proof is on taxpayer/executors not HMRC.

Do not underestimate HMRC.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”