This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

gift with(out) reservation

riccardob
Re: gift with(out) reservation

Postby riccardob » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm

No deed of gift necessary.

Whether you hold as joint tenants or tenants in common depends on how you want your respective halves of the property to be inherited - likley to be as tenants in common to leave things as flexible as possible, then ensuring your respective wills do what they need to do.

Ok thanks.

So if no deed of gift is necessary can this be done diy?

I have had a look at tr1 and it looks straighforward. The main thing is to state that there is no money exchange.

I'd rather avoid a convenancying fee earner if possible, the last one we used forgot to register a property at LR....... :roll:

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 am

The Land Registry is very helpful, so you shouldnt have too many problems.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:33 pm

thanks again.

Just to clarify, if the parent gifts only 50% of the ownership am I correct in saying that a rent equal to half the market rent for said property would have to be paid in order to avoid the GWR for iht purposes?

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am

Yes
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”