This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Flexible deed and term asssurance

JMP

Postby JMP » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:01 am

Hello

Have not had a reply in trust and estates forum, so thought this might be a place to post my question as well. Thanks

I recently took out a term assurance without profits and completed a Flexible Gift Trust Deed (I am Settlor 1; wife is Trustee). The Insurance company confirmed receipt and noted that as I had not named a beneficiary in Section A that "Inland Revenue might regard this as a discretionary trust with its associated taxation regime".

Wanted my wife and son to be beneficiaries and did not want to potentially incur tax liability! Should I list my wife and /or son as beneficiaries? Can my wife be both trustee and beneficiary? There is also a further Section B - Potential Benficiaries - is this in case wife and son are not surviors?

The insurance firm says I can name default beneficiary by completing a "deed of appointment of beneficiaries" - just want make sure I do it correctly!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”