This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Life Interest Trust

tiggybp
Life Interest Trust

Postby tiggybp » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi
My father died in 1986 and left his portfolio of shares (£327k) in trust to Cancer Research. However for the duration of my mothers life she was to be paid the dividends generated by the portfolio.
All other assets from my fathers estate were passed directly to my mother and I therefore assume 100% of his nil rate band is transferable.
My mother passed away last month and I'm now trying to understand how this will be treated in terms of IHT.
As the capital of the portfolio is now going to go directly to Cancer Research do I need to mention it in either IHT400 or IHT402?
If it does need to be detailed will it affect the nil rate band for my mothers estate which I had assumed would now be £650k?
Thanks in anticipation of your guidance and help.
Brian

pqtaxation

Re: Life Interest Trust

Postby pqtaxation » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm

1) As the capital of the portfolio is now going to go directly to Cancer Research do I need to mention it in either IHT400 or IHT402?
2) (If it does need to be detailed) will it affect the nil rate band for my mothers estate which I had assumed would now be £650k
Yes to 1) and No to 2).

Mother had an interest in possession in the trust/settlement for her life and so its value needs to be included on IHT418.

As charity (remaindermen) is exempt (IHT 418 box 18 ) there is no effect on transferrable NRB from your father.

maths

Postby maths » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 pm

pqtaxation

Think i agree with your comments.

For clarification:

1. The full NRB is transferable because the inter-spouse exemption applied on father's death irrespective of the charity dimension.

2. Whilst the iip is "qualifying" and thus included as part of mother's estate, it is reduced due to the charity exemption.

tiggybp

Postby tiggybp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 pm

thanks for your help and advice guys

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”