This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Business Property Relief

markbruff@blueyonder

Postby markbruff@blueyonder » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:08 am

My father has run a furnished holiday flat from half of his home for the last 20 years. He is in the process of selling half the house to my sister to live in, but continues to rent out his half of the property during the summer. I understand that this setup (the furnished holiday letting)entitles him to BPR for IHT purposes. Assuming this is the case, what is the tax position if he ceases trading? (The house is basically arranged as 2 semi detached bungalows, and he is selling 1 to my sister).
Thanks
Mark

James Smith

Postby James Smith » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:41 am

Mark,

If he ceases to trade then BPR will not be available on death, although it is permissible for a family member to effectively run the trade and still obtain the relief. Generally speaking if the strategy is to use BPR the family should arrange to ensure the business continues until the end.

Your Father should ensure he takes appropriate advise about the sale to your sister, from a CGT point of view and also from a IHT planning position. If you father is planning on moving out then by selling the property you may be pushing money "up" a generation when you have the opportunity of a gift or other transaction to reduce the size of your Father's estate. How relevant this is will of course depend on his other assets and total estate value.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.jamesesmith.co.uk
01284 764436

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”