This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Would IHT be payable in this scenario?

maths
Re: Would IHT be payable in this scenario?

Postby maths » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Could I use this same list in reverse, as a guide as to the "major" actions needed to abandon a DoC,
Yes,

After having ceased the "major" ties, if I were to retain "minor" ties to the UK, such as:
• Keeping ISAs and bank accounts in the UK
• Retaining UK private pension and state pension entitlements
Is it likely that HMRC would be able to argue I failed to sever all ties to the UK, and therefore regard me as having retained my UK DoC?

HMRC will of course argue whatever they want if the monetary reward to them warrants it.

Having said this, the retention of the "minor" ties you mention above is unlikely to sustain an argument that you retained a UK DoC.

teejaydee

Postby teejaydee » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:43 am

Hello maths,

Many thanks for all your advice. It's very generous of you to spend time and effort on answering these questions.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Everyone likes the odd thank you.
Thank you.

riccardob

Postby riccardob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Could I use this same list in reverse, as a guide as to the "major" actions needed to abandon a DoC,
Yes,

After having ceased the "major" ties, if I were to retain "minor" ties to the UK, such as:
• Keeping ISAs and bank accounts in the UK
• Retaining UK private pension and state pension entitlements
Is it likely that HMRC would be able to argue I failed to sever all ties to the UK, and therefore regard me as having retained my UK DoC?

HMRC will of course argue whatever they want if the monetary reward to them warrants it.

Having said this, the retention of the "minor" ties you mention above is unlikely to sustain an argument that you retained a UK DoC.
Is domicile an issue that can be decided by a tax tribunal in case the tax payer disputes hmrc's position in terms of domicile?
I wonder if hmrc ever loses a case on this topic.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”