This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Estate debts and pension annuity query

SoConfused
Estate debts and pension annuity query

Postby SoConfused » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:39 am

My father had a pension savings plan with Scottush Widows which should have been used to buy an annuity when he reached the age of 70. He originally took this out to support a mortgage for a property which he later sold. however, he never actioned the purchase of an annuity with Scottish Widows at so the money he had paid in just sat with them until he died last November age 73. I am waiting to hear if beneficiaries were named for this, but am not clear about what should happen to the money if there remains debts for inheritance tax to pay on his estate.
I am being told that it falls outside of the estate for hmrc tax calculation purposes, but does that also mean the funds from it can be distributed before estate debts are settled? i dont want to do the wrong thing as his estate is otherwise property only, which is still to be sold so settlement of debts cannot proceed until a buyer is found for the house.
Any advice gratefully received, thankyou.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”